Thursday, May 24, 2007

An Italian Area I Never Wish to Miss

When I finally had the confirmation for my forthcoming flight to Italy, I hurriedly grew excited. This was not my first visit to the adorable country, of course, but my last trip there was many months ago. My exuberance was quite understandable because although I have been to Italy for countless times, I never had the privilege to view the biggest church in the whole world and this, to me, was a misery. So, I made a declaration that once I landed on the country's ground, I would make time to visit St. Peter's Basilica no matter what; if I would need to crawl out of my business arrangements I would.

Finally, I made it to Vatican after a few more arrangements and set off to St. Peter's Basilica. Good thing I was in my suit because had I dressed improperly, the building staff would have not let me in; you see they were precise on the dress code.

I felt a sudden divine power when I entered the building, maybe because of the wonderful and heavenly interior very unique to St. Peter's Basilica. The church building is a safe place for the most eminent works of art masters, which include Michelangelo's Pieta, Canova's Monument to the Stuarts, and Bernini's Throne of St. Peter. The dome was also crafted by Michelangelo, which is a magnificent view in itself because of its intricate patterns and huge size. The dome is surely the most gigantic in the entire world with a 42-meter diameter and a 138-meter height.

After seeing the central icon of Christianity, I immediately understood why I was always brought to Italy--an Italian trip is never complete without a visit to St. Peter's Basilica.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home